You have planned your next trip with Delta. However, you want a Delta airlines seat upgrade for a premium travel experience but have no idea about it. No worries. We are here with useful information about the same and help you fly with an upgrade. Knowing its details will give you a clear idea of getting this leverage.
In this account, you will get to know the upgrade types, how to get one, and the costs involved or if you can get a free upgrade among other information nuggets. So, let’s begin.
What is Delta Airlines Seat Upgrade Policy?
To fly smoothly with Delta while enjoying a raise in seat class is a delightful experience. So, you should know about Delta airlines seat upgrade policy. Here are the highlights -
- If your flight ticket mentions Upgrade Available, you can request it at the airport.
- You are allowed to upgrade one service class before travel.
- Only elite members can get seat upgrades. So, if you haven’t joined SkyMiles, a credit card will help you to earn miles.
- At least 24 hours before your flight’s scheduled departure, you can make an online booking or on call. And make sure to provide the payment proof before the flight takes off.
- You can even claim a Delta seat upgrade refund on a booking cancellation.
- While flying with an award ticket, if you want an upgrade to Economy Comfort plus seating, with all coach seating, buy it from the Delta Sky Club.
- Buy the Delta Sky Club upgrades near your flight boarding destination from 60 to 90 days before the trip. You can thus upgrade to either of the following -
- Economy Comfort+
- Business Class
- First Class
What are the Delta Upgrade Types?
You have several choices to raise your travel class with Delta. Let’s look at each here -
Upgrade With Miles
Use miles while booking to get a Delta seat upgrade on select flights within the 50 United States.
These are available for Delta One on most of the routes within the 50 United States. Medallion Elites to Comfort+ or first class travelers can also avail of these upgrades.
Mileage Upgrade Awards
The airline facilitates you to purchase upgrades with miles on current bookings. You can buy as you want on select flights. However, only fare classes - Y, B, M, H, Q, or K are privileged to get international upgrades.
Global Upgrade Certificates
These are available to Diamond Medallion Elite members. And allow them to get an upgrade to 1-cabin class on international, regional, or domestic flights that are Delta-operated as well as select partner airlines.
Regional Upgrade Certificates
Meant for Platinum and Diamond Medallion Elite members for 1-cabin class upgrade seat Delta on domestic and select regional flights.
Same-Day Standby Upgrades
You can avail of these at extra charges, irrespective of your ticket type. Available only on the departure day, these upgrades are limited and are only for the flights operating in North America, the Caribbean, and Cancún.
Complimentary Companion Upgrades
You can get these only if you are flying as a Medallion Elite member on the same booking.
How to Request a Seat Upgrade on Delta?
You can get an upgrade on the airline in the following ways -
- Through the airline's official website
- Using the airline’s app
- Calling the customer service executive
Now, let’s look at the process that explains how to request seat upgrade Delta.
Let’s start with the online approaches.
Through the Website
- Visit the official website of Delta Airlines.
- Look for your booking in My Trips or the Fly Delta app.
- Go for a Delta Comfort+ Upgrade.
- Select the Upgrade Preferences option.
- Check mark both the options for -
- Request Upgrade
- Only Upgrade if My Seat Preferences are Available.
- Select your seats.
- Confirm your seats.
- You may get a Delta Comfort+ upgrade on the next flight as per availability.
Seat Preferences selection won’t change your global settings as of now. You have to choose Delta Comfort+ Seat Preferences every time for a Delta airlines seat upgrade.
On the App
- Go to the app.
- Tap on Upgrade My Seat.
- Select the upgrade type -
- Main Cabin Extra
- Main Cabin Select
- Once you have selected the preferred upgrade type, tap on the Confirm button.
To request a Delta upgrade offline is simply by calling a representative on the official number of the airline, which is 1800 123 6645.
How Much Does a Delta Seat Upgrade Cost?
It costs between $50 to $200 to get an upgrade on Delta. However, the amount to be paid also depends on your ticket type.
*Prices are subject to change. Please connect with a Delta customer service representative or visit the official website for updated prices.
How to Get a Free Upgrade to First Class on Delta Flights?
For a free upgrade, you have to keep in mind that -
- Mention your Medallion Skymiles number while booking.
- As per the seat availability, the airline will upgrade your ticket to first class for free.
Medallion members who get higher Delta seat upgrade priority belong to the status -
Methods to get free seat upgrades
Here are some other approaches to get free upgrades:
- Sign up for their SkyMiles program.
- Book flights with your Delta credit card and get an automatic upgrade (as per the availability).
- Use miles and other perks earned with your membership.
To keep it short, look for opportunities to upgrade at check-in. After all, who doesn't want to travel with premium facilities. You can also use miles for a Delta seat upgrade. Another idea is to compare discounts on business class and the SkyTeam partner airlines.
So, what are you waiting for? Delta has upgrade choices for you. Think premium travel. Choose Delta upgrades.